Director: Kitao Sakurai
Cast: Eric Andre, Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, & Michaela Conlin
* * *
Wow, I wasn’t expecting this movie to be as good as it was. My initial thought was, “Now THIS is the comedy we all needed…not Barb and Star…” #ChrisAndBudMePlease!
I mean, this was so cleverly and well done—weaving an actual story that was followed through WITH actual pranks! This film is definitely my surprise of March.
* * *
Below are my grades for key components in #BadTrip that I find to be key in any story/film—Theme, Plot, Pacing, and Character Arc/Development.
Additionally, I have added an entertainment factor scale to help you determine whether or not the film is something you’d be interested in taking time out of your weekend, evening, or day to watch. The scale range consists of: Worth the Watch, Interesting Enough (if looking for something new to start), & Don’t Rush.
I have also added a few non-spoiling thoughts, wonderings, and comments as I watched the film to help give some rationale for my grades and entertainment scale.
* * *
Character Arc/Development: C
General Entertainment Factor: Worth The Watch
Film Enthusiast Entertainment Factor: Interesting Enough
* * *
1. I REALLY appreciate the commitment to the storyline. It made me so happy, and it elevated the Jackass/Punk’d genre of outlandish, reality comedy for me. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾🙌🏾
2. Chiiiile! The “Finger Trap” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
3. The black women in the juice bar were COMEDY! 😂😂
4. You know, some of the moments were cringe/uncomfortable-funny. I found myself covering my eyes while laughing a few times. 😅😅😅🙈
5. When she closed the cover to ol’ boy food, and asked him to “stand under him.” 😩🤣🤣🤣
6. Ol’ girl was SO messy in that diner! 🤣🤣
7. I was on the fence with Tiffany Haddish, though. Some moments felt too forced for me. 🥴🤷🏾♂️
8. Yes, Eric Andre! You better commit to that kiss! 🤣🤣🤣
9. Now…y’all didn’t recognize the taste of those “mints?” Then again, I don’t partake so maybe they do taste the same? 👀🤷🏾♂️
10. Shout out to the “mediator from the streets!” #Periodt! 🤣👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾🙌🏾
11. I wonder how many takes they had to do with different people due to folks clocking Tiffany… I’m sure she was hard to disguise. 🤔
12. Yoooo, the dude cleaning graffiti…👀🤣🤣🤣🤣
13. That white woman gesturing “No” to Bud.🤣🤣🤣
* * *
Overall, #BadTrip is definitely a must see! Think Smokey and Craig from “Friday” deciding to take a road trip to Tijuana that Friday morning…with pranks along the way. And speaking of pranks, the film did a great job elevating the Punk’d/Jackass genre that we are familiar with, and THAT is what truly makes this film. There’s story. There’s pranks. There’s authentic comedy via everyday people. And there’s commitment. Just well done.